Thursday, August 23, 2007

Everyman's An Island


Wine's pouring like acid rain. J. looks at me all drunken eyes. She's trying to whisper something but never comes out. "You know I walked this road before..." she finally says. "It led me right here in the middle of nowhere, and if it wasn't for you I don't know what I would end up doing. All things are already discussed, same music has been played over and over again, films have bloodied our eyes and books, who really needs them anymore. Here we at the edge of the world. A step before the abyss. What keeps us in one peace, I really wanna know. Most of the people are hanging on by ignorance (a bonafide advantage nowadays). Would it be too naive to ask you what gets you up in the morning?"
"Curiosity. I want to see future! I can't let go, there must be something there in the distance worth waiting for. Sometimes meaning lies where you don't see it, right in your face, in trivial things, looks, gestures, a change of weather, a thunder, a storm..."
"Who do you think you are, Homer, the blind poet?"
"Probably the cartoon character but that's irrelevant. You ridicule our conversation."
"I'm sorry to say that I'm probably up to here with abstraction. I want definite answers."
"There's no definite thing when you can't predict much really. Think about it! Let's say that you've been given the gift of seeing into the future. What an awful gift! I'd slice my wrists without remorse. Total Knowledge? Fuck it! It's the learning process that keeps us in one peace"

(photo by Rui P.)

No comments:

Post a Comment