Thursday, August 2, 2007

Passage


I woke up in another town again. As I fell into deep sleep 2 hours ago stranded inside a train stopped in God knows where, I was somehow sure that it would take much more time to reach my destination. As I'm heading to the nearest bar in the station I take a quick glimpse of the old clocks hanging above my head. It's 6.03. Inside the bar a yuppie 30 something is reaching for his wristwatch inside his briefcase, finds it and wears it on. The bartender is reading 'Il resto del Carlino', mumbles something about the new signing of the local team then stares at the weather report on a tiny screen that hangs from the ceiling. As I'm leaving the station, the cleaners are brushing lazily while a couple of students stare at the departure board for far too long. Fog has covered everything outside,and the moist makes my hair soft. Bus drivers inside their vehicles are ready for another climb up to the rush hour, some smoking the first cigarette of the day, others reading the morning papers, or starting their shift with an engine growl. As the city wakes up I'm observing 5 or 6 old people making a dangerous passage from the one side of the rail to the other. It's too cold to make the whole round so they shortcut through the high velocity lines...

No comments:

Post a Comment